Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Crack-Jack

Last morning we dicsussed the research design aspects of a HBS case: "Boston Fights Drugs". I found this short poem interesting enough to be blogged about .. notice that there are no 'powerful' words, all are common-place lingo and yet this ad of the mid-eighties caused a stir among the drug-dazed student population of greater Boston (population: 3 million). This post has been very loosely titled crack-jack (in fond memory of the sweet-n-salty biscuit snack I loved during my school days), the implications though are rather deep. Sample it ..

"Take me out of the ballgame,
Take me out of the crowd,
Buy me some pieces of crack, Jack;
I dont care if I never come back ..."

2 comments:

  1. Ya there is some kind of subtlety about the words in this campaign. I feel that such a campaign is essential in Indian scenario where usage of cannabis and other hallucinogens becoming commonplace. and by the way did u learn about the research design in the case?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your'e right Shiva - although I'm not sure who is to bell the cat!
    This is a slightly complex case indeed. And yes, analysis does open your mind to various new posibilities that could (co?)exist. This, I guess, is the one of the fundamental tenets of exploratory research.

    ReplyDelete