Monday, February 23, 2009

Abracadabra ...

Theres a curious experiment I'm considering ...

I came across an article in the Reder's Digest on how to improve your IQ to make it to mensa. Some of you may rightly wonder .. so what IS 'mensa'? Simply put, its a highly selective association of high IQ-d individuals and the society admits only those whose IQ is at or above the 98th percentile (132+ per the Stanford-Binet scale or 148+ for the Cattell). I read this article about a year or more ago and among the various suggestions and recommendations, I found a curious mention of a particular drug starting with the letter "M". Online 'research' told me that this compound promotes wakefullness and brain activity and keeps the people extremely alert for extended periods of time. Surprisingly, it is NOT addictive and doesn't make you oversleep for all the sleep-time you lost .. I mean, what more can you ask for?! I've read personal experiences of people using this compound and the claims they've made seems decent, worthwhile and fair. So could it be the wonder-drug that can transform Clark Kents into Superman? .. I'm not really sure. May be. I dont know .. I really dont know and so I decide to try. Trying something personally is the ONLY WAY you can be ABSOLUTELY sure if something is TRUE OR NOT. Here is some worthwhile background info ... This compound was discovered somewhere around the elate 70s, but only over the last 2 -3 years militaries around the world have been extensively testing it - esp. US and UK who studied its effect on bomber pilots who need to be awake, alert and astir sometimes for upto 40 hours straight! (Life in the defence forces isnt all that easy for tall the "Ray-Ban" glamour that it carries, huh?!) This compound is not available over-the-counter (OTC) in most countries, but in the place where I live .. this is an over-the-counter medicine (its not even a Schedule 'H' drug). But, sorry I wont reveal the compound name or its manufacturer(s). I'll give you a tough clue though .. it is priced in the range of 65 to 85 rupees for a strip of 10 tabs (100 mg strength) and is freely available almost all the worthwhile pharmacies around the city.

So I've made my 'confession' formal .. I'll be taking this compound on particular days (double blindfolded / placebo mix test) on some days over the next month. One Mr. Cat-in-a-hat (name changed for security reasons) will be assisting me with regard to 'randomising' samples / selecting and administering placebos.

Come back if you care to know more about this. I'll be posting my experiences regardless of its efficacy or its appropriateness! I dont belong to any pharma company (although I have been indirectly involved in fundamental drug discovery research at one point in my career) and this blog-post is no marketing gimmick to boost sales .. and I really dont care if the sales of that compound goes up or down, as I dont own a single share of the company .. and there are better ways alert people can chaperone firms into profitability, during times of economic mediocrity and turmoil.

Some of the what-if "thinkers" among you might rightly wonder: What if this compound makes my descendants die of brain and drain cancer after 43.67 generations? :-)!

.. Buddy you'll never know if you'll leave a legacy 43 generations down the line! Medical trials havent proved much to counter the claims made .. so why bother about whats gonna happen 43-and-three-quarter generations down the line?? .. You have just one life. Make it, dont lose it!

"Test everything, hold on to what is true"

2 comments:

  1. A good post. I think you are talking about modalert/modafinil marketed by Sun pharma. Originally developed by Cephanol Inc US, this drug is used to treat excessive sleepiness caused due to shift work sleep disorder(SWSD). I doubt the efficacy of the drug in a normal person(I suppose you dont suffer from SWSD).

    Aspirin can make a heart-patient's heart stronger. Can it strengthen a naturally healthy heart?

    Modalert can make SWSD patient more wakeful and alert. I am afraid it can do any good to you.

    Your goal of wining mensa membership is salutable but you may look for some other means of achieving it.

    References:
    1) http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=0a1b7ed6-49ea-4373-9445-5d497f75724e

    2) http://www.dancewithshadows.com/hara/keep-awake-drug.asp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really did hit the nail on the head, Karthi! .. and I honestly am amazed that you got it right, despite being a non-medico.

    As for the mensa stuff, well I kinda left it off at that for the present. Although I registered, I didn't write the test.

    ReplyDelete